Fuel Assistance


Program:  LIHEAP (Fuel Assistance)

Director:  Garth Patterson

Address and Telephone:         

250 Griffin Street
Fall River, MA

TEL     (508) 679-0041          
TEL (508) 676-7397 (Automated information in four languages: English, Spanish, Portuguese, Khmer)

FAX    (508) 675-0245                                     

E-mail gpatterson@cfcinc.org                        

Office Hours:  November 1st thru April 30th Mon. Wed. Thur. 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Tuesday 8:30 –6:30 p.m. Friday emergencies only 8:30 a.m.- 4:30 p.m.  Sat. 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.

Brief Program Description:  The program assists eligible households pay their heating bills during the winter season or until benefits are exhausted.  Clients receive various discounts such as telephone discounts, electric discounts, and gas and oil discounts.

Eligibility:  Eligibility is based on annual gross household income, family size and annual heat consumption.  Income guidelines used are established by the federal government.

Documentation Needed:  Clients must document a minimum of “4” consecutive weeks of income or any number not to exceed the prior “52” weeks.  Proof of residence is required for all applicants by submitting a copy of a current heating or electric bill.   Social security numbers are requested of all household members over 18 yrs of age.  Proof of housing costs is also required.  For renters, please submit a copy of the current lease or rent receipt and for homeowners, please submit a current mortgage statement, real estate tax bill and homeowners insurance policy with annual premium.

Households must document US Citizenship or “Qualified Alien Status” for all members. Some examples of documentation are: social security card, birth certificate and/or green card. Please contact our office for a complete list of acceptable documents.

Please note: Households that include non-citizens may be eligible for fuel assistance benefits if the non-citizens are “Qualified Aliens” or if at least one member of the household is a United States citizen (which may include a child born in the US). Green cards (INS Form I-551) are one of the documents that establish “Qualified Alien” status for a member of the household. Again, please contact our office for a more complete list of acceptable documents.

Application Process:  Face to face interview with an intake worker for the initial application of assistance is required.  In subsequent years, client is mailed a pre-printed application which the client verifies for accuracy of the information or updates incorrect information and returns the application to C.F.C.’s Fuel Office.

Criteria for Selection:  Same as eligibility